Happy Thanksgiving, Y’all
Well, if you’re in Canada, that is. Which I am. Obviously. Sorry, all you Americans. Too slow to the game, suckers.
I remember New Years so well. Boyfriend came up to my room drunk at 3AM and handed me a lemon, I drank by myself and watched trashy films or something, and that was that. Well, sorta. I remember thinking to myself – I guess I had this feeling – that 2017 was going to be huge for me. My life would take off, things would be different, and it would be happy, something of which I hadn’t seen in somewhere around two years.
I’m not there yet. In all honestly, this year has been shit. I was right about everything changing and being completely different from before, but happy? I’m not sure I’ve quite reached that, although I’m a lot closer to it than I was a few months ago. In the very least I can say that I’m beginning to believe that the world still does possess some good after all, because I had been pretty damn convinced that it didn’t.
However, it’s Thanksgiving – the one time of the year where we all sit around and take time to be thankful for what we have. Or something. Honestly, it’s mostly just shitty family dinners, mashed potatoes, and another weekend to work retail. After all, shouldn’t we be thankful about the happinesses in our lives all the time? Seeing as it is the long weekend, though, I thought I may as well take the opportunity to reflect on some of the more delightful aspects of my life.
This year, I’m thankful for…
- Rainy days
- Good books
- Cozy blankets and lots of pillows
- The way the first sip of a cup of tea warms your heart
- Sweater weather
- Pasta and cheese
- Video games
- Hot baths and showers
- A safe place to live, away from all the world’s horrors.
- The chance to start over a new life for myself, and the ability to create anything I want for myself within it.
- Having a good job to go to everyday that’s (mostly) stress free and easy to manage. One that makes me enough money to live off of even when I’m not working full time.
- A home to come back to – even if it’s still in the process of being set up.
- Being surrounded by messy people who care about me.
- Having access to free counselling so I have someone incredible to talk to and help putting my life back in order.
- Amazing friends and an incredible support system. Here’s looking at you, Sharon and Dylan.
- The fact that I actually want to wake up in the morning.
- Driving. I’m really enjoying it.
- Getting the chance to live in my favorite place in the world.
- There are so many friendly people around town who always stop to talk to me when I’m out and about. It’s great to meet new, nice people.
- Al. For being okay with my craziness and making me feel like I don’t have to handle everything alone.
- The fact that I’m starting to feel okay.
- So many writing projects. So many. It’s awesome.
- I have a good future ahead of me, and it’s going to be wonderful.